Monday, May 23, 2011

1st day at Cold Spring Harbor Lab

CSHL wanted me to come in at 8:30 am to go thru the paperwork. But this meant that I had to wake up at 4 am and get out the door by 5 to make the 5:51am train to Syosset 0_0 I didn't have very good sleep last nite, prolly like 3 hrs max. But i got thru the morning w/o coffee but just some of my chinese breakfast =D

I get to Syosset and I wait half an hour for their first shuttle bus to arrive, and thank god they have this free shuttle cuz i would be paying a $9 taxi fare each day. I arrive at the HR building and 3 other ppl are there waiting already and I immediately knew they were gonna be my colleagues. And they were all white and from long island one guy, one blonde, and one brunette...=___= i don't know why but as soon as i realized that I was going to work with this group, i ..just thought to myself, "what did i get myself into?" there must be some real disconnection betw me and white ppl cuz i nvr hit it off with that race compared to other ethnicities. They just talked about stuff that I was not interested in and i get this feeling like they look at me and think i'm a shy, quiet, boring girl. and they're all taller than me and own a car too >_> but there is one other girl coming in and she is from the city but from the sound of her name, i think she's just gonna act like the rest of the group. i already sense that the brunette likes the only guy in the group cuz there seems to be some chemistry going on and the blonde girl is just laughing to w/e they say ~_~

and to create further chasm, I am placed in charge of the lab that is the furthest away and most difficult to get to cuz there's a mountain of stairs to climb up to get to it.

but the campus is very nice to be at and look at. my supervisors are great and understanding ppl. they're changing the start time to 9:30am tmr so i can sleep in for another hour (HALLELUJAH)
so i'm prolly just having trouble dealing w/ my disconnect from the rest of the group and i'll just end up doing all the work w/ no help from them.

i got out of work at 3:30 pm, which was nice and when I got back to Atlantic Terminal, i could not resist stopping by starbucks to get myself a green tea frappe <<===i think i'm addicted to this drink (i think about it constantly)

2 comments:

  1. wow you're kind of close by to me!!! that sounds like a really exhausting commute virginia :[... you're not going to drive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no i can't drive, i don't have my license yet. i don't have a car either, but the commute isn't that bad really

    ReplyDelete